from Katherine
We were in the hot, dusty market town of Bizana recently for one of our small business development classes. I had to make a run to the market for supplies to cater the lunch and overheard (and participated in) a conversation of the older couple in front of me.
Husband to Wife: "Let's buy some mushrooms for you to make for dinner for me tonight."
Wife to Husband: "No, I am not buying mushrooms. Just let me shop."
Husband to Wife: "You are always telling me what to do. You sound like one of those American women on the soapies!"
Then someone gives the man a nudge and then points to me. The man looks at me and shrugs his shoulders and apologises. I tell him, "Don't worry, I don't think the women on the soapies speak nicely to their husbands either!
Unfortunately, we bear a burden as Americans from how we are portrayed in television - American or otherwise. Perhaps our behavior is instructive more so when we are 'counter cultural.' At first I wondered, how did they know I was American and then I remembered that even for those that do not know us personally we are known of here in this town for the work we do and because we stand out just a bit!
We were in the hot, dusty market town of Bizana recently for one of our small business development classes. I had to make a run to the market for supplies to cater the lunch and overheard (and participated in) a conversation of the older couple in front of me.
Husband to Wife: "Let's buy some mushrooms for you to make for dinner for me tonight."
Wife to Husband: "No, I am not buying mushrooms. Just let me shop."
Husband to Wife: "You are always telling me what to do. You sound like one of those American women on the soapies!"
Then someone gives the man a nudge and then points to me. The man looks at me and shrugs his shoulders and apologises. I tell him, "Don't worry, I don't think the women on the soapies speak nicely to their husbands either!
Unfortunately, we bear a burden as Americans from how we are portrayed in television - American or otherwise. Perhaps our behavior is instructive more so when we are 'counter cultural.' At first I wondered, how did they know I was American and then I remembered that even for those that do not know us personally we are known of here in this town for the work we do and because we stand out just a bit!
No comments:
Post a Comment